Recipe by Mindy Fox
Start to Finish: 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. mixed wild mushrooms, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef (80% lean)
- 1 jar (32 oz.) marinara sauce
- 1 lb. ziti
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the beef and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the marinara. Simmer for 5 minutes more; season with salt and pepper.
3. Salt the boiling water and add the pasta. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta. Return the pasta and cooking water to the pot. Stir in the sauce and chopped oregano, then 3 cups mozzarella. Transfer to a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
4. Bake the ziti for 10 minutes. Top with 1 cup Parmesan and the remaining 1 cup mozzarella. Bake until bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes more. Top the ziti with oregano leaves and more Parmesan.