- 1 tablespoon EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 pound smoky bacon, chopped
- 2 red or white onions, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 fresno chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 large bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 28 - 32 ounce can san marzano tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato puree or passata
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained
- grated pecorino-romano, for sprinkling
- charred bread, such as ciabatta (rubbed with garlic, drizzled with with oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper), for mopping
In a medium dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off all but 3 tbsp. of the fat.
Add the onions, garlic, chile, bay leaves, thyme, a little salt and lots of pepper. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree and chicken stock, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Stir in the beans and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Serve the soup in shallow bowls. Top with the cooked bacon, drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with the cheese. Serve with the bread for mopping.