- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can lentils, rinsed
- 1 cucumber--peeled in stripes, seeded and cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Grated peel and juice of 1 large lemon
- Salt and pepper
Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a large saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and 1 tablespoon olive oil, cover and cook over medium-low heat, undisturbed, for 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork, spread out on the baking sheet and refrigerate.
While the rice is cooking, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the bacon.
Add the cooked rice, lentils, cucumber, scallions, parsley, lemon peel, lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the bacon and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.