Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Makes 4Servings
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon
- Vegetable oil, if needed, for frying
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large unripe green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 8 slices white bread, toasted
- 4 green leaf or iceberg lettuce leaves
1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high until crispy, about 8 minutes; drain on paper towels. If needed, add enough vegetable oil to the drippings in the skillet to measure 1/4 inch.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour and 1/2 tsp. salt. Pour the buttermilk into another bowl. Dredge the tomatoes in the cornmeal mixture, pressing to adhere, then buttermilk to coat, then again in the cornmeal mixture. Fry in the bacon drippings over medium-high until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Spread 4 slices of toast with mayonnaise. Top with the bacon, fried green tomatoes, lettuce and the remaining toast.