Recipe by Justin Chapple
This recipe originally appeared in our Harvest 2020 issue. Get the magazine here.
- Makes 8 applesServings
- 4 apples, halved and cored
- 2 tbsp. melted butter, plus 3 tbsp. chopped cold butter
- 3/4 cup panko
- 3/4 cup plus 6 tbsp. shredded cheddar
- 2 slices crumbled cooked bacon
- Sour cream and chopped chives, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°. Using a small sharp knife, score the cut sides of the apples in a crosshatch pattern. Arrange the apples in a muffin tin, cut-sides up. Brush with the melted butter. In a bowl using your fingertips, blend the panko, cold butter, and 3/4 cup cheese; season. Mound on the apples; bake until tender, 25 minutes. Top with more cheese and the bacon. Broil until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Garnish with the sour cream and chives.