- 4 young artichokes–halved, chokes discarded and insides rubbed with lemon
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 small shallot, grated
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1. In a large pot, combine the artichokes and enough water to cover. Stir in half of the lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook the artichokes until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine the shallot, garlic, remaining lemon juice and the vinegar; season with salt. Let sit for a few minutes. Stir in the sugar, then whisk in the EVOO until emulsified. Season with the thyme, salt and lots of pepper.
3. Serve the artichokes with the vinaigrette for dipping.