- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 lbs.), cut into 8 pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook, skin side down, until golden-brown, 7 minutes. Turn and cook 7 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
In the same skillet, cook the onions, bell pepper and garlic over medium heat, stirring often and scraping up the browned bits, until the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the rice, chili powder and oregano and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 2 cups water and season with salt. Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Stir the roasted red peppers into the rice; season. Divide the rice among plates and top with the chicken.