Recipe by Antoni Porowski
Start to Finish: 10 minutes
- 8-oz. piece of Pecorino Romano
- 2 small cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 6 tbsp. EVOO
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 lb. frisée (1 bunch), trimmed and leaves separated (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 lb. escarole (1 bunch), trimmed and leaves chopped (about 8 cups)
1. Finely grate enough of the cheese to measure 1/2 cup. Mound the garlic and 1/4 tsp. salt on a cutting board. Alternating between the flat and sharp sides of a chef’s knife, mash and chop the garlic and salt together to create a paste. On the same board, finely chop the anchovy fillets, then chop and smear them into the garlic paste.
2. In a large bowl, stir the garlic paste and the grated cheese. Whisk in the oil and lemon juice. Add the greens and toss until coated; season with pepper.
3. Mound the salad on a platter. Using a vegetable peeler, shave more cheese on top of the salad.