- 1 container (32 oz.) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 large shallots or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano (a couple of scant handfuls)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
In a small saucepan, combine the chicken stock and 1 cup water and keep warm over low heat.
In a large saucepan, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the shallots (or onion) and garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the rice for 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the wine and lemon zest until it has absorbed into the rice. Begin adding the warm stock a few ladlefuls at a time, stirring vigorously with each addition, until the risotto is al dente, 18 minutes.
Stir the butter into the risotto to combine, then stir in the lemon juice. Stir in the cheese, basil and tarragon; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.