- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup orzo or 1-inch pieces of broken thin spaghetti
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 - 4 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated, then chopped
- 1 large navel orange-zested, then peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- EVOO, for drizzling
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once it foams, add the orzo and cook until golden, 2 minutes. Stir in the rice; season. Add 2 1/2 cups stock, the cranberries, scallion whites, orange zest, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the rice is tender, 17 to 18 minutes, adding the remaining 1/2 cup stock if needed. Discard bay leaf.
Transfer the mixture to a serving dish and toss with the chopped orange, scallion greens, parsley and almonds. Season, then drizzle with EVOO.