- salt and pepper
- 10 - 12 large tuscan or black kale leaves, stemmed
- about 1/3 cup EVOO
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pound farro spaghetti or whole wheat spaghetti
- 8 - 10 good-quality jarred anchovies
- 1 red chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- freshly grated nutmeg
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the kale and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate with tongs, let cool and thinly slice. Reserve the pot of water.
In a small skillet, heat about 1 tbsp. EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the butter and heat until foaming. Add the panko and nuts and toast until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; season with salt, pepper and the parsley.
Bring the reserved pot of water to a boil, drop in the spaghetti and cook to al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Meanwhile,in a large skillet, heat about 5 tbsp.EVOO over medium heat. Stir in the anchovies until they melt into the oil. Lower the heat a bit, stir in the chile and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the kale; season with nutmeg.
Stir the reserved pasta cooking water into the sauce and kale. Add the pasta and toss for 1 to 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls and top with the hazelnut breadcrumbs.