1) Chef'n Zipflip Flexible Medium Turner
UPSIDE Nylon head won't scratch nonstick surfaces; curved end can scrape sides of pan; lightweight; soft, nonslip silicone handle.
DOWNSIDE Edge frays over time.
2) OXO Good Grips Silicone Flexible Omelet Turner
$9, oxo.com for stores
UPSIDE Silicone-covered steel head won’t scratch nonstick pans; flexible enough to slide under fragile foods like fish and pancakes.
DOWNSIDE Unwieldy in small pans; too flexible for lifting heavy foods like steak.
3) Messermeister Offset Square End Spatula
UPSIDE Sturdy metal head is good for heavy lifting like flipping steaks; long blade works well on the grill.
DOWNSIDE Heavy; unwieldy in small pans; can scratch nonstick surfaces.
4) Calphalon Slotted Turner
UPSIDE Sturdy, wide nylon head is ideal for flipping large foods like pancakes and fried eggs; extra-long handle.
DOWNSIDE Edge frays over time; blade too thick for delicate foods like crepes.
5) Lamsonsharp Chef's Slotted Turner
UPSIDE Thin, sturdy metal head works well with delicate foods like fish.
DOWNSIDE Expensive; angled head is right- or left-hand specific; can scratch nonstick pans.
USE YOUR TURNER TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
* Prices and other details were accurate when we published this article in April 2008.