1) Rowenta Jasper Morrison Toaster $150, amazon.com UPSIDE Compact; audible alert; dishwasher-safe crumb tray; vents on top for warming baked goods. DOWNSIDE Expensive.
2) Hamilton Beach SmartToast $40, target.com for stores UPSIDE Four toasting slots with separate controls for each pair; smudge-proof chrome exterior. DOWNSIDE Extra-hot exterior during use; no cord storage.
3) Krups FEM2B $75, krupsusa.com UPSIDE Sturdy; manual bread-lifting lever (toast stays warm until removed); vents on top for warming baked goods. DOWNSIDE Smudge-prone stainless steel surface; inconsistent browning; short cord.
4) Cuisinart Compact 2-Slice Toaster $30, cuisinart.com UPSIDE Compact; special settings for defrosting and reheating. DOWNSIDE Short cord; awkward rear crumb tray.
5) KitchenAid KMTT400 $130, kitchenaid.com UPSIDE Four toasting slots with separate controls for each pair; dishwasher-safe crumb tray; special setting for reheating. DOWNSIDE Expensive; smudge-prone stainless steel surface; awkward rear crumb tray.
USE YOUR TOASTER TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
*Prices and other details were accurate when we published this article in March 2008.