Treats should make up no more than 10 percent of your dog’s daily caloric intake, says Dr. Tina Wismer, Medical Director of the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center. If your dog is 20 to 30 pounds, that’s a teaspoon and a half of ice cream—“not much at all,” says Dr. Wismer. Sharing the last bits out of your bowl is OK, but don’t give away your triple-scoop.
Read the label
Chocolate? No. Rum raisin? Double no. Sugar-free? Skip it: Xylitol, a sweetener found in some ice creams, can cause dogs’ blood sugar to drop. Ice pops are usually fine, as long as they don’t have chunks of grapes. (No grapes for dogs, ever!) And some pups are lactose intolerant, so go nondairy if your pooch has ever had a bad reaction to cheese.
Or make your own!
If you want to be sure you’re not giving your dog something bad, here’s a frozen treat that’s tasty and 100 percent healthy for humans and dogs: One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream!