Host Your Own Backyard Clam Bake!
No beach? No problem! Here's how chef Ben Ford builds a classic seafood feast on the grill.
Serves 4 Prep 20 min Cook 50 min
2 live lobsters (about 1 1/2 lbs. each)
4 medium artichokes
4 ears corn
3 sticks butter--1 softened, 2 melted
4 sweet onions, peeled
9 small potatoes
1 lb. fresh Mexican chorizo links
12 unpeeled, deveined jumbo shrimp, preferably head-on
2 1/4 lbs. littleneck clams, scrubbed
1. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high. Place the lobsters in the freezer for 20 minutes. Trim the artichoke stems and leaves; slice off the top inch. In a pot, steam artichokes in 1 inch boiling water until crisp-tender, 20 minutes.
2. Pull back the cornhusks and remove silk. Rub each cob with 2 tbsp. softened butter. Pull husks back up to cover corn; tie with kitchen twine.
3. Using a chef's knife, make two slits in the core end of the onions about a quarter way through, forming an X.
4. Lay half the seaweed on the top grill grate. Arrange the lobsters in the center of the seaweed, then surround with the artichokes, corn, onions, 8 potatoes and the chorizo links. Scatter the shrimp and clams on top; cover with the remaining seaweed. Place the remaining potato on top as a tester. Cover the clambake with the grill lid.
5. Cook until the tester potato is tender, about 30 minutes. Serve with the melted butter.
Adapted from Taming the Feast by Ben Ford and Carolynn Carreño, Atria Books, 2014