We put some of our favorites to the test on Parmesan cheese and other ingredients. Here's how to choose the right grater for the right job.
1) Microplane 38000 Series Fine/Spice Grater
ON PARMESAN Makes a fast-melting powder for pastas.
ALSO GOOD FOR Nutmeg
2) Cuisipro Accutec Coarse Grater, flat
ON PARMESAN Makes small flecks, ideal for salads.
ALSO GOOD FOR Garlic
3) Microplane 35000 Series Extra-Coarse Grater
(Extra coarse grater)
ON PARMESAN Makes chunky slivers for salads or pizzas.
ALSO GOOD FOR Potatoes
4) Microplane 35000 Series Fine Ribbon Grater
(Fine ribbon grater)
ON PARMESAN Makes feathery ribbons for melting over bread.
ALSO GOOD FOR Frozen butter
5) Cuisipro Accutec Small Shaver, flat
ON PARMESAN Makes thin flakes for garnishing hearty pastas.
ALSO GOOD FOR Chocolate
6) Cuisipro Accutec Large Shaver, flat
ON PARMESAN Makes wide, thin chips for snacking.
ALSO GOOD FOR Cheddar Cheese
USE YOUR CHEESE GRATER TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
*Prices and other details were accurate when we published this article in April 2006.