Rach and John celebrate their birthdays with a big Italian feast in the Adirondacks.
"Our birthdays are less than a week apart and every year we celebrate in our favorite place, upstate New York. We get family and friends together -- and have a ton of fun!"
tips + how-tos
How to Play Bocce
1. Play on a flat, level surface, like packed dirt, grass or gravel about 76 feet long and 10 feet wide.
2. You'll need two teams of 1, 2 or 4 players. Each team gets four balls, divided equally.
3. Have one person roll the small ball (pallina) toward the opposite end of the court.
4. Let that person then throw one of the larger balls (boccia) toward the opposite end of the court, trying to get as close to the pallina as possible, without touching it. Players from opposite teams then take turns until one of the boccia stops closer to the starting player's.
6. The starting team takes their second turn if the opposing team gets closer to the pallina without using all of their balls.
7. Continue until all eight balls have been thrown. The team with the closest ball at the end gets one point for every ball that's closer to the pallina than the other team's.
8. Keep playing until the first team reaches 16 points.