12 Days of Cookies Day 5: Orange-Cream
With flu season coinciding with the holidays, it's important to get your vitamin C fix. You may be thinking about chugging a glass of orange juice, but don't orange-cream cookies just sound so much better? So here's the plan: Whip up these tasty morsels, then scarf down the leftover orange you used for zest before you indulge your sweet tooth in these citrus sweets.
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. orange zest + more for garnish
seeds from 1 vanilla bean
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium until pale and fluffy, 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl. Beat in the yolks and vanilla until just combined.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and salt, then combine with the butter mixture on low speed until just incorporated. Mix in the orange zest and vanilla bean.
3. Halve the dough, form into 1.5-inch-diameter long logs, tightly wrap in parchment paper and chill 2 hours.
4. Trim off the ends, then slice the logs into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Transfer cookies to cookie sheets.
5. Bake at 350 degrees until golden, 17 to 20 minutes. Cool cookies on racks, spread with Easy Icing and sprinkle with zest.