12 Days of Cookies Day 3: Cornmeal Thumbprints
Happy Friday! To start your weekend off right, we're giving you our recipe for Cornmeal Thumbprint Cookies. Fill these cookies with your favorite fruit jam or preserves, or get creative and try fillings like Nutella, peanut butter or even marshmallow fluff. The snowy sky is the limit!
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium until pale and fluffy, 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl. Beat in the yolks and vanilla until just combined.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal and salt, then combine with the butter mixture on low speed until just incorporated.
3. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
4. Roll 1 tbsp. dough into a ball; transfer to a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill 15 minutes.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use your thumb to create an imprint in the center of the cookies.
6. Return to the oven and bake until golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven; press each cookie again.
7. Cool cookies on racks, then fill with jam.