12 Days of Cookies Day 1: Buttery Holiday Cookies
Christmas time is upon us, and what better way to count down the days than with cookies? Over the next three weeks, we'll be sharing 16 different cookie recipes. The best part? They all start with the same base dough, so you can mix and match flavors as you please! Holiday baking just got a whole lot easier.
For our inaugural #RRcookiecountdown post, we're sharing the recipe for our Buttery Holiday Cookie dough that'll be the base for the rest of your doughs. But don't worry--if you want to stop here, the dough is just as delicious by itself or covered in frosting!
Buttery Holiday Cookies
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium until pale and fluffy, 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl. Beat in the yolks and vanilla until just combined.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and salt, then combine with the butter mixture on low speed until just incorporated.
3. Halve the dough, flatten into disks, wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
4. Working with 1 disk at a time, roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies, transfer to cookie sheets and chill 15 minutes.
5. Bake at 350 degrees until golden, 17 to 20 minutes. Cool cookies on racks. Decorate with Easy Icing and sprinkles.
In a medium bowl, stir 2 cups confectioners' sugar with 3 tbsp. whole milk and 3 tbsp. melted butter. Thin with a few drops of water to desired consistency.