It wouldn't be the holidays without a candy cane or two, which is why our 9th day of the #RRCookieCountdown just screams "Christmas time." Let your kids help twist the dough ropes into the classic candy cane shape. They may trade the sugary treat for these cookies for good!
Minty Cookie Canes
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. peppermint extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
red food coloring
1. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium until pale and fluffy, 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl. Beat in the yolks, vanilla and peppermint extract until just combined.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and salt, then combine with the butter mixture on low speed until just incorporated.
3. Remove half of the dough from the mixer. Beat red food color into the remaining dough. Wrap each dough half in plastic and chill 1 hour.
4. Roll 1 tbsp.each of white and red dough into two 6-inch-long ropes. Pinch ropes together at one end, twist and transfer to a cookie sheet. Curve one end to form a candy cane. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill for 15 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with red sanding sugar, bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Cool cookies on racks.