Get Dinner on the Table Faster with These 4 Genius Kitchen Hacks
1. Open Pistachios the Easy Way
Ever broken a fingernail trying to crack a barely open pistachio? Next time, wedge one half of an empty shell into the opening of an almost-closed pistachio and twist to pop off the shell. Nailed it!
2. Prep Ginger with a Spoon
Prepping bumpy ginger with a vegetable peeler is awkward and wasteful. (You can't help but take off some of the ginger root with the skin.) Use a spoon to save ginger—and your fingers. Simply hold the ginger with one hand and use the tip of a spoon to scrape off the skin.
3. Core a Pear Quickly
For a perfect pear half, grab a metal teaspoon-size measuring spoon. Scoop around the seeds in a circular motion and you're done.
4. Peel Potatoes with Just a Pinch
At the office, we were passing around a potato-peeling viral video that seemed too good to be true, so we tried it. And it worked! Thanks, Internet!
1. Using a knife, score each potato* around the middle. Be careful to cut only through the skin.
2. Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and let cool, 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Pinch each end of a potato and the skin will slide off!
*This works best with waxy potatoes, like Yukon Gold. If you're cooking floury potatoes, like russet, rub off the skin with a paper towel.