Recipe by Sarah Tenaglia
- 4 small (5- to 6-inch) corn tortillas
- 6 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small head romaine, chopped, dark-green tops separated
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 2 Serrano chiles—stemmed, quartered and seeded
- 2 poblano chiles—stemmed, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 2 zucchini (5 to 6 oz. each), each cut lengthwise into 6 spears
- 12 frozen peeled and deveined large shrimp (about 9 oz.)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush each side of the tortillas with 1/4 tsp. oil. Bake directly on oven racks until crispy, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool.
2. In a food processor, puree 2 cups lettuce tops with the mayo, garlic and Serrano chiles; season the sauce with salt.
3. Preheat a large cast-iron skillet over high. In a large bowl, toss the poblanos, zucchini and shrimp with the remaining 4 tsp. oil and the cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, until the shrimp is cooked through, 4 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and continue cooking the chiles and zucchini until blackened in spots, about another 4 minutes. Cut the zucchini and poblano strips crosswise into thirds.
4. Form tostadas with tortillas, remaining lettuce, poblanos, zucchini and shrimp. Drizzle with some sauce; top with cheese. Pass remaining sauce.