Recipe by Louisa Young and Lexi Ritsch of Hamptons Aristocrat
|Start to Finish|
1 hour, 40 minutes (plus chilling)
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp. (about 1/2 of 1 packet) unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. finely grated Parmesan
1 lb. golden or Chioggia beets
1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
2 tsp. finely chopped shallots
1 1/2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
Bee pollen and sorrel leaves, for garnish (optional)
1. Pour 2 tbsp. cream into a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and whisk gently to combine. Let stand until the gelatin dissolves, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the remaining cream over low until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat. Slowly whisk in the gelatin mixture. Add the Parmesan and whisk until melted. If the cheese doesn’t melt completely, heat the mixture over low, whisking until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Pour into an 8-inch square glass pan. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 8 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Place a large sheet of foil on a work surface. Place the beets on top. Season with salt and wrap tightly in the foil. Roast until the beets are tender and can be easily pierced with a sharp knife, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly. Peel the beets and cut into 1/4-inch wedges.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar, shallots, and honey. Whisk in the oil until blended; season. Add the beets and toss to coat; season.
5. Smear the Parmesan mousse on a serving plate. Top with the beets. Garnish with bee pollen and sorrel leaves, if using.