This supporting vegetable deserves the spotlight. Peel away and find its potential with four aromatic recipes.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 1 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 4 white onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 32 ounce container chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into tweleve 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan. In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add the onions to the pot, season with salt and cook for 8 minutes. Set aside 1/4 cup of the cooked onions. Sprinkle the remaining onions with 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil; lower the hear and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, mix the reserved onions, 1 cup milk, the remaining 1 cup flour, the eggs, butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Fill each muffin cup halfway with batter and place a cube of cheese in the center of each. Bake for 25 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 degrees ; bake for 15 minutes more.
- Stir the remaining 1 cup milk into the soup and heat through. Garnish with the bacon and chives. Serve with the popovers.
- Mionetto Il Prosecco NV (Italy), La Tordera Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Brut NV (Italy)