Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans
- 1 10 ounce can tomatoes with green chilies
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 bag (about 10 ounces) corn chips, such as Fritos
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook for 7 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add the beans, with their liquid, and the tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cilantro, then top with the cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes. Place a handful of corn chips in each of 4 bowls. Top with the chili and serve.
- Add a finely chopped jalapeno.