Satisfy your family's appetite with dinners for 10 bucks or less.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 1/2 pound bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 head small green cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 1 inch thick slices ciabatta bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat, stirring often, until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat, add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and cabbage and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes have softened slightly and the cabbage is wilted, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour in the vinegar and cook, stirring, until the flavor mellows, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes and cabbage are soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the bread with olive oil on both sides and place on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven, 10 to 15 minutes. Rub the cut sides of the garlic all over the bread.
- Season the soup with salt, pepper and the parsley. Divide among 4 bowls, top each with the bacon and serve with the garlic bread.
- Tenimenti Angelini Tuttobene Rosso 2005 (Italy)
- Throw in a bag of your favorite vegetables, like carrots or peas.