Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 5 ounces rice noodles (rice vermicelli)
- 2 cups bean sprouts (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 pound deli roast beef, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 14 ounce can beef broth
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Add the rice noodles to a medium saucepan filled with water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Divide the cooked rice noodles, bean sprouts and roast beef strips among 4 soup bowls.
- Heat the oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the jalapeno and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the beef broth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season the soup with salt and divide among the bowls. Garnish with the cilantro leaves and lime wedges.
- Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Riesling 2005 (California)
- Splash a little Tabasco or Asian chili sauce on the finished soup.