Give this tangy condiment life after Thanksgiving! Serve it alongside your favorite cheeses as a spread for crackers, or layer it with store-bought cake, custard and whipped cream for a speedy dessert.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 12 ouncebag fresh cranberries
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup water with the sugar, cinnamon stick, fresh ginger, orange peel, salt and cloves. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the cranberries and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and remove the cinnamon stick. Let cool.
- Refrigerate cranberry sauce in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.