Make this homemade cornbread for your stuffingor have it on its own for breakfast!
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
- 1/2cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4teaspoon baking soda
- Salt and pepper
- 1 3/4cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a 9-inch cast-iron or other heavy ovenproof skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs and stir into the dry mixture.
- Swirl the butter around the skillet to coat the inside, then pour into the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened, then pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.