Makes: 15 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 3 onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 1/4 cups long-grain rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 16 ounces frozen peas
- In a 7-qt. dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook, stirring often, until golden and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 2 1/4 cups water, the chicken broth, bay leaves, 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper and bring to a boil. Stir, cover, lower the heat and simmer, undisturbed, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Quickly scatter the peas on top, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and let cool completely, tossing once or twice. Discard the bay leaves.
- Divide into 1-cup portions and transfer to resealable plastic sandwich bags. Squeeze out the air and flatten the bags. Seal and store flat in 2-gallon freezer bags.
- Thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes, or pop into the fridge in the morning and thaw all day. (The microwave can be used in a pinch.)
- Halve the amount of onions and add 3 minced jalapenos.
- Use corn instead of peas and add chopped cilantro.
- Swap in 1 cup white wine for 1 cup broth.
- Add thyme or rosemary when cooking the onions.
- Omit the peas and stir in chopped olives and toasted almonds.