There are so many ways to use this basic recipe: Sprinkle with coarse salt and serve as an antipasto; simmer with onions, red wine and herbs for a flavorful tomato sauce; use as a pizza topping; chop and add to risotto; or top with your favorite soft cheese and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes (about 15)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Stem the tomatoes and slice them in half lengthwise. Gently squeeze out the seeds or scoop them out with a spoon.
- Lay the tomatoes, cut side up, in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the thyme and garlic. Roast for 40 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees and roast the tomatoes until caramelized, about 20 minutes more.
- Turn off the oven and leave the tomatoes inside for 10 minutes, then remove to a rack and let cool completely. Peel if desired. The tomatoes will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or for up to 6 months in the freezer.