A standing electric mixer is the ultimate tool for light and fluffy potatoes: Throw the cooked spuds into the bowl, set the speed on low, and add the cream mixture a cup at a time. Then whip on high for one minute.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 4 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) butter, softened and cut into pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chives, snipped, for garnish
- In a large pot of salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain; reserve the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan or a microwave, heat the half-and-half until steaming. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until melted. Keep warm.
- Using a sieve or food mill, press the potatoes, a few pieces at a time, into the empty pot. Whisk the cream mixture into the potatoes and heat over low heat until warm. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with the chives.
- Substitute your favorite chopped fresh herbs for the chives.