Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 4 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Using a small spoon, scoop out the zucchini flesh, leaving a 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick shell. Wrap the zucchini flesh in a paper towel and squeeze out any excess liquid; discard the liquid and set aside the flesh. Place the zucchini shells cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add the zucchini flesh and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the bread crumbs, and toast the bread crumbs for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the nuts and oregano, then combine with the vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
- Flip over the zucchini shells and line the bottoms with the mozzarella. Pack in the filling. Sprinkle the parmesan on top. Bake until the zucchini is tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Gris 2006 (Oregon)
- Prepare and stuff the zucchini a day before.