This simple, spicy slaw is traditionally served in North Carolina as a barbecue side dish, as well as a crunchy topping on pulled pork sandwiches.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 green cabbage (about 2-3/4 pounds), cored and shredded
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegars, sugar, hot sauce, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Add the cabbage and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes, then toss and serve.
- Use a food processor fitted with the shredding disk to shred the cabbage.