Here's a 60-minute meal for New Year's Day excerpted from my Rachael Ray: Just in Time! cookbook. Because, on a holiday, even a 30-Minute Meal can be slowed down a bit...
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 canned anchovy fillets
- 1/4pound pancetta, cut into cubes
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 - 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika or ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2cups dried lentils
- 2 32 ouncecontainers (2 quarts) chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2ouncecan fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped (about 4 cups)
- Crusty bread or rolls, for serving
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Stir in the anchovies until melted, then add the pancetta and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the potato, carrots, onion and garlic. Season with the rosemary sprigs, bay leaf, paprika, crushed red pepper, allspice and salt and black pepper to taste; cook until the vegetables are softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, stir in the kale and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and rosemary sprigs. Serve the stoup with the crusty bread.
- Julian Chivite Gran Feudo Rosado 2006 (Spain)