"Pasta alla Norma—pasta, eggplant, tomato, basil and ricotta salata crumbles—is a fave of mine. Here, those flavors come together in a superfast soup."-Rach
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 eggplant, half of the skin peeled to make stripes and the flesh chopped into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ouncecontainer (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 28 ouncecan crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound raviolini (small, cheese-filled ravioli)
- 1 cup sliced or torn basil leaves
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for topping
- In a medium soup pot, melt the butter with the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the eggplant and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the raviolini and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the basil.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with cheese.