Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 4 1 inches thick slices crusty bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound green beans, sliced on an angle into thirds
- 4 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15 minutes. Let cool, then mash.
- Preheat the broiler, then toast the bread. Rub with the garlic and drizzle with more EVOO.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus, scallions and green beans; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the scallions are softened, 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and peas and simmer until heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the mashed tomatoes.
- To serve, put 1 toast in each of 4 bowls, pour the soup on top and sprinkle with the parsley and lemon peel. Pass the cheese around the table.
Tip PAIR WITH:
- Joseph Drouhin Moulin-a-Vent 2006 (France)