Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 small handful golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron threads or 1 envelope saffron powder
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 jarred piquillo peppers or 2 jarred roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted (a generous handful)
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth, raisins, 1 tablespoon EVOO, turmeric and saffron to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 18 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper; add to the skillet and cook for 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Add the piquillo peppers to the pan and heat through, about 2 minutes. Add the sherry and boil until slightly reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the butter and half the parsley and turn off the heat, stirring to melt the butter. Spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Add the remaining parsley and the almonds to the rice and fluff with a fork. Serve the rice alongside the chicken.
Tip PAIR WITH
- Sumarroca Chardonnay 2005 (Spain)