This recipe is penny-wise because it's inexpensive to make. Plus, it's wise because it uses whole wheat pasta, which is high in fiber compared to semolina pasta. And it's delicious!
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 1 pound whole wheat penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 7 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced
- Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to pass around the table
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
- While the pasta is working, in a medium skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, pumpkin and cream. Add the hot sauce, cinnamon and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sage.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce and pass the parmigiano-reggiano around the table.
- Castello di Gabbiano Chianti Classico Riserva 2003 (Italy)