Whip up easy, comforting food that chases the chill away.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Pickle spears, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until just shy of al dente.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees . Bake the bacon on a broiler pan until crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Chop the bacon. Preheat the broiler.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until reduced, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups cheese until melted, then remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the horseradish and bacon.
- In a casserole dish, combine the pasta with the sauce and top with the parsley, scallions and remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Broil until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with the pickles.