Somewhere between chowder and soup, this is a tasty vegetable choup.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound small potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 4 - 5 large ears corn, kernels scraped from the cobs, or one 10-ounce box frozen corn
- 1 medium or 2 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 5 - 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Hot pepper sauce
- Oyster crackers or popcorn, to pass around the table
- In a medium soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp at the edges. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the potatoes, corn, zucchini, thyme, bay leaf and paprika and cook for 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pot, stir and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the broth and simmer until thickened a bit. Stir in the milk, cream and parsley and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Season the corn choup to taste with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce and serve with crackers or popcorn to float on top.
- Cape Mentelle Sauvignon Blanc-Semillon 2006 (Australia)