Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2cups long-grain white rice
- 3 1/2cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2cup unfiltered apple cider
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 scallions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the rice and toast until light brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in 2 1/2 cups broth and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, stir in the peas and cheese.
- While the rice cooks, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook until the juices run clear, 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet, then whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the apple cider and 1 cup chicken broth and cook until slightly thickened; season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- While the chicken cooks, in a large saucepan, bring 1 inch of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans, cover and cook until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain the beans and return to the saucepan. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the scallions; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the apple gravy over the chicken and serve the rice and green beans alongside.
- Huber Hugo Gruner Veltliner 2005 (Austria)