Add ingredients to your Every Day essentials (rachaelraymag.com/kitchen) and you're ready to satisfy everyone's sweet tooth.
Makes: 18 servings
Prep: 40 mins
Bake: 25 mins
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 5 1/2 ounce bag soft caramels, such as Werther's Original Chewy
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Line 18 cups of 2 standard 12-cup muffin pans with baking liners. In a large bowl, beat 1 stick butter with 1 cup granulated sugar until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add 3/4 cup bananas, the baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and beat until smooth. Stir in 1 cup flour. Mix in 6 tablespoons milk and the remaining 3/4 cup flour until smooth.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually mix in the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar at high speed until stiff and glossy. Fold the egg whites into the batter until no streaks remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each liner three-quarters full. Cut 9 caramels in half, and submerge one piece in each muffin cup of batter. Bake until the cupcakes are springy to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, cook the remaining caramels, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup banana and 1/4 teaspoon salt over medium heat, stirring, until the caramels are melted.
- Using the electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and confectioners' sugar until thick, about 3 minutes. Slowly beat in the caramel mixture; transfer the mixture to the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Using the electric mixer, beat the remaining 2 sticks butter at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the cooled caramel mixture, then beat at high speed until fluffy. Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes.