This hearty stew is just a simmer away.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh or thawed frozen skinless cod or halibut fillets, cut into 2-inch-wide strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 loaf Italian bread (about 7 ounces), cut into eight 2-inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh oregano
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Place the fish in a single layer in a large glass baking dish; season with salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake for 8 minutes; set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees . Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and toast until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes and chicken broth and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Using a fork, lightly flake the reserved fish and add it with the oregano to the stew; simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls and top with the croutons.