All the ingredients for this timeless treat are on our Every Day On-Hand Essentials list.
Makes: 18 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 15 mins
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 1/4cups sugar
- Grated peel of 2 lemons, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Line 3 large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Using an electric mixer, combine the butter, 1 cup sugar, the lemon peel and juice until fluffy. Mix in the egg. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and combine.
- Place the remaining cup sugar in a small bowl. Roll heaping teaspoons of dough into balls, then roll in the sugar. Place on the prepared cookie sheets a few inches apart. Bake until golden around the edges, about 15 minutes. Transfer the cookie sheets to racks to cool completely.
- Spread ice cream or sorbet between the cookies and freeze to make ice cream sandwiches.