Add shrimp, feta cheese and fresh oregano to your Every Day On-Hand Essentials list and you'll have all you need to make this saucy fish dish.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus wedges for serving
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the shrimp with the lemon juice and arrange in a single layer. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato puree, oregano, bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and pour the sauce over the shrimp; sprinkle the feta on top. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then place under the broiler until the feta is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with the lemon wedges.
- Use basil or thyme in place of oregano.