Make summer-vegetable lasagna—without an oven!
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 40 mins
- 1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups packed basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup nuts, such as walnuts or almonds
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (optional)
- 3 zucchini or yellow squash, cut into 36 thin slices
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 24 thin slices
- Toss the zucchini with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Using a food processor, puree the ricotta, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, lemon peel and 1 teaspoon salt; scrape into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the basil leaves, nuts, Parmesan, 1/2 cup olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt to the food processor and process until blended. Scrape the pesto into a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the food processor bowl and add the canned tomatoes, the sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, the ginger and 1 teaspoon salt; puree and set aside.
- To make individual servings, slightly overlap 2 or 3 zucchini slices on each of 4 dinner plates. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Top with 2 rounded tablespoons each of the reserved tomato sauce and ricotta mixture, then 1 tablespoon of pesto, 2 tomato slices and a couple of basil leaves. Repeat the layering twice, finishing with basil leaves.