Put a whole new spin on alphabet soup.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 32 ounce container 4 cups) vegetable broth
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 pound alphabet pasta
- Salt and pepper
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking liner. Sprinkle four 1/4-cup mounds of parmesan about 2 inches apart onto each prepared baking sheet; slightly flatten with a spoon. Bake until golden-brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool for 30 seconds. Using a thin metal spatula, drape the crisps over a rolling pin until hardened into shape, about 3 minutes.
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and tomatoes, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Using a blender, puree the soup with the butter. In the soup pot, stir the pasta into the soup,and cook until al dente, Stir in 1 to 2 cups water, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into 4 mugs and top each with 2 parmesan crisps. The parmesan crisps can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Bake small mounds of grated parmesan...
- ...until golden,
- then drape them over a rolling pin until crisp.
- Cook chopped onion and carrot in olive oil,
- then stir in broth...
- ...and tomatoes and let it all come to a boil.
- Blend in a bit of butter and puree the soup until smooth.
- Add pasta and cook it until al dente, then season with salt and pepper. To eat, top with a parmesan crisp and dig in!
- Double the recipe and freeze half for later.