Make mac and cheese in minutes.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half, warmed
- 1 8 ounce bag shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- In a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente; drain in a colander.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the warmed half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is steaming hot and thick, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar until melted. Stir in the cooked macaroni and season to taste with salt.
- Heat the half-and-half in the microwave for two minutes.